Banas River

The Banas river rises near Pindwara village in Sirohi district of Rajasthan at an elevation of 372.5 m above mean sea level. The total length of the river from origin to its outfall into the little Rann of Kachchh It drains an area of 8,674 sq km out of which nearly 38 % lies in Rajasthan State and the remaining 62 % falls in Gujarat state. The basin lies between the geographical co-ordinates of 710 15’ to 730 15’ east longitudes and 230 30’ to 240 55’ north latitudes. The river flows in a south – westerly direction and empties into little Rann of Kachchh. It is bounded by Luni basin in the north, Sarasvati basin in the south, Aravalli Hill ranges in the east and finally, Arabian Sea in the west.

The number of principal tributaries, which contribute significantly, is seven. Sipu is the only major tributary on the right bank. The other six tributaries namely Batria, Sukli, Sewaran, Suket, Balaram and Khari drain into the main channel from left bank.

Hence draining system on the left bank of the Banas river is more extensive as compared to the right bank area. The average rainfall in the Banas basin is 921 mm. Owing to topographical characteristics, the climate is variable. The Mount Abu is one of the coldest regions and is one of the famous hill stations of India.

Sipu : Sipu is the prinicipal tributary of the Banas rising from Sirohi and Mount Abu hills in Sirohi district of Rajasthan state. Abu hills fall between the Banas and Sipu sub-basin. About 30% of Mount Abu hills direct runoff drains into Sipu river while about 70% of mount Abu hills direct runoff flows into Banas river. The ocnfluence of sipu river and Banas river is 12 km downstream of dantiwada dam.

Khari: Kahri river rises from Palanpur (B.K.distric) and drains into the Banasa river through Mehsana district at 80 km downstream of dantiwada dam

Sukli: The Sukli triburtary rises from aravalli hills near Pindwara of Sirohi district (Rajasthan) and drains into the Banas river downstream of Swaroopganj dam and 9 km upstream of Abu road of Rajasthan state.

Batria: The river rises near Ambaji hills of Aravalli range and drains into Banas, 3 km upstream of Abu road.

The catchment area , length and elevation of source of the distributaries are indicated in the following table.

Name of riverBankElevation of Source above m.s.l (meter)Length (km)Catchment area (sq km)

The Dantiwada dam, Sipu dam and Swaroopganj dam are two main irrigation structures existing on the main channel of Banas river.

There is four H.O. station of CWC in Banas basin - Abu Road, Sarotary, Chitrasani, Kamalpur. Inflow forecast is also issued by CWC for Dantiwada dam.

QR Code
QR Code banas (generated for current page)